Our History

In 1687, Electoral Councillor Adrian von Kray constructed a
country estate in Thalkirchen – at that time far beyond the bounds of the city of Munich.
It was purchased by famous court painter Cosmas Damian Asam
in 1724 and converted to a lavish artist’s home.

GeschichteBild1

In 1729/30 frescoes were applied to the façades of the Asam Schlössl
and a geometrical electoral palace garden laid out on the south side.
The court painter paid for the property with the fee received for his commissioned work
at the Maria Einsiedel Convent in Switzerland.
For this reason he named his Schlössl (little castle) after the well-known
Swiss pilgrimage site “Asamisch Maria Einsiedel Dall”. At that time the estate included a mill,
farm building, castle garden and chapel.

Schlosslgarten

Following Asam’s death in 1739 the Schlössl changed owners several times,
and in 1838 the building was extended on the east side to accommodate a restaurant.
It became a popular excursion spot with a beer garden for Munich residents.

1901

The restaurant in 1901

ornament

1912

Asam Schlößl in 1912

The frescoes on the façades were renewed in 1923-1927, but unfortunately
the building was badly damaged by fire in World War II.
In 1947 the Asam Schlössl was provided with a makeshift roof.
The property was purchased from the City of Munich by architect and conservationist Professor
Erwin Schleich in 1957 – under the proviso that it would be reconstructed and restored to its former glory.

In 1981/82 the frescoes were reconstructed by Karl Manninger in the Asam version according to Verdute.
Professor Erwin Schleich rebuilt the house true to the original plans, and lived in it until his death.

In 1992 Ferdinand Schmid purchased the property for the Augustiner Brewery.
It was lovingly restored and – after more than 30 years of private use – again made accessible to the public.

The frescoes on the façades and in the banqueting hall on the second floor
have been restored by Augsburg artist Hermenegild Peiker.

The Schlössl was finally roused from its long gastronomic slumber
when it was reopened by proprietress Birgit Netzle in 1993.